July 9, 2008 § Leave a Comment
Today I had another one of those godawful flu-like mornings, where I only drank lime and seltzer and lay curled up on the couch, body weak and eyes fixated on John & Kate Plus 8 (yeah, it’s weird. But for some bizarre reason, this is one of the three shows I can physically and mentally tolerate on TV. It’s strangely riveting…but more on that later) Eventually I felt well enough to crawl into the kitchen and make myself some a 2-egg omelett with zucchini soup & cultured vegetables. After resting for another hour, I felt good enough to get dressed and move on with my day. Today was my mom’s 50th birthday, so I made her a chocolate cake with coffee-buttercream frosting, all from scratch. It smelled and looked heavenly. I was able to resist taking even the tiniest lick of the frosting, even though I would have loved to, because I knew that things would only get worse if I gave into temptation. Willpower… yeah!!!! Then we went to birthday dinner at my mom’s favorite restaurant, Hamersley’s Bistro. Surprisingly, I was able to find something BED-friendly; I had swordfish with fennel, roasted red pepper, roasted garlic, summer squash (all veggies culled from other people’s plates, except the fennel), and a minuscule red potato, which, shouldn’t have gone with that meal, but whatever, it was tiny. It was a good day all in all; I think my mom had an excellent 50th birthday and it was nice to spend the day sitting in the sun on the back porch with her.
Anyways, tomorrow I have a stupid dentist app at 8. Then an interview at Bed, Bath & Beyond at 2. I’m sick of wasting gas and T passes–will someone HIRE ME ALREADY??? Damn. What does it take to get a job in this town?? Too bad money doesn’t just rain from the sky like hail, or appear under my pillow when I’ve done a good deed. Then I could just spend the summer doing fun things with Marie, like going to the DeCordova and the Arboretum. Isn’t that what the summer is for anyways???
July 8, 2008 § Leave a Comment
I’m not sure that avocado half I ate in my salad earlier did me any good. I thought I could eat them in stage one, but maybe not? I feel…blocked. Not in the poop arena, but more like the lower stomach area. Don’t you hate when you want to eat but you feel shitty? It sucks. I wanted to eat my delicious seared salmon dinner, but opted for some peppermint tea, kefir and sprouted sunflower seeds instead. Mabybe tomorrow.
In other news, check out this sweet birthday card I made for my mom’s 50th birthday tomorrow
I wanted to keep going with the lines, but I got bored
It says “happy birthday to the best woman ever. we love you!!” (d’awwwwwwwwwwww)
July 3, 2008 § Leave a Comment
My copy of Body Ecology finally came in the mail, and I have begun reading it and practicing some of Donna’s ideas. The diet aims to flush the digestive system of toxins and buildup, better equipping it to absorb essential vitamins and minerals. The theory is that problems autism, cancer, AIDS, MS, and candidiasis might partly be the result of the intestines not being able to digest all the proper minerals and nutrients, thus leading to the deficiencies that cause these problems. Thankfully, I’m not afflicted with any these issues; I’m just doing it to detox. The four basic ideas of BED are:
- Food combining: always eat fruits alone and on an empty stomach, always eat protein/grains/starchy vegetables with non-starchy and/or ocean vegetables
- The 80/20 rule: 80% of your plate should be land and sea vegetables, 20% should be either animal proteins, grains, or starchy veggies. Also, eat until you are 80% full and leave the other 20% for digestion
- Expansion and contraction: salty foods make your body contract, sweet make your body expand, aim for a balance of the two through…
- ..a balance of acid and alkaline: the typical American diet is highly acidic. We can cure this by eating alkaline-forming foods, like land and ocean veggies, millet, quinoa, amaranth and buckwheat, sea salt, herbs, seeds, lemons, limes and unsweetened cranberries, raw apple cider vinegar, cultured veggies like sauerkraut, kefir, and soaked almonds